The final against Hong Kong's Marco Fu went back and forth until Murphy won 10-9 after having fluked the pink in the deciding frame.
Stephen Maguire (Scotland) and Allister Carter (England) lost out in the semi-finals.
Murphy received £100,000 for the victory and Fu got £46,000 for his runner-up spot.
Ding Junhui had the highest break of the tournament with the 147 maximum he made in his last 16 loss to John Higgins (Scotland). It was Junhui's second career maximum.
This was the third ranking title for Murphy. He's previously won the 2005 World Championship and the 2007 Malta Cup. Fu was looking for his second win in ranking events.
Murphy is the 10th player to win both the World Championship and the UK Championship.
Murphy moves from sixth to third in the provisional rankings. Fu advances three places, from ninth to sixth. The top two remain the same. Ronnie O'Sullivan (England) stays on top, followed by Stephen Maguire (Scotland).
Murphy jumps from 10th to fifth in the ELO Ratings. Fu advances nine places, from 15th to sixth. No changes in the top three. O'Sullivan is still the clear frontrunner, followed by John Higgins (Scotland) and Maguire.
The event took place at the Telford International Centre, Telford, England 13-21 December, 2008. It was the fifth ranking tournament of eight on the 2008/2009 Main Tour. Next up on the snooker calendar is the Masters which starts 11th January 2009.
- Maplin UK Championship 2008 (World Snooker)
- Maplin UK Championship 2008 (Maplin Electronics)
- Murphy defeats Fu to clinch title (BBC)
- Murphy claims UK Championship (Eurosport)
- Murphy Burns Midnight Oil to Win (Sporting Life)
- 2008 Maplin UK Championship (Global Cue Sports Centre)
- 2008 UK Snooker Championship (Wikipedia)
- Maplin Electronics UK Championship 2008: Murphy wins late-night epic (Pro Snooker Blog)
- Murphy Leaves it Late (Snooker Scene Blog)
- Online cue sports video done right! (Billiard Coach - Mike Feldhammer)
- SnookerManager: UK Championship 2008
- UK Snooker Championship (Wikipedia)
- Shaun Murphy (official site)
- Shaun Murphy (Wikipedia)
- Peter Ebdon wins UK Championship (2006 UK Championship)
- Ronnie O'Sullivan wins fourth UK Championship (2007 UK Championship)
- It's Ronnie again in the Northern Ireland Trophy (2008 Main Tour)
- Walden strikes gold in Shanghai Masters (2008 Main Tour)
- John Higgins captures Grand Prix (2008 Main Tour)
- It's three out of three for Neil Robertson with Bahrain Championship win (2008 Main Tour)