Ryuuji Umeda from Japan won the World Three Cushion Championship.
In the tight final against Daniel Sanchez from Spain he won 3-2, with the set scores 6-15, 15-9, 4-15, 15-7 and 15-12. Dick Jaspers (Netherlands) and Ramón Rodriguez (Peru) captured the bronze medals.
Sanchez had the highest average in the tournament, with 1.805. He also had the highest single match average with 2.647. Gerhard Kostiansky (Austria) had the highest run with 12.
This was Umeda's first world title and Japan's first since Nobuaki Kobayashi won in 1984. Nice timing with next year's event being held in Tokyo.
Japan now holds both world titles as Orie Hide won the 2006 Ladies World Championship.
Defending champion Eddy Merckx (Belgium) finished in 12th place.
The win takes Umeda from 13th to fifth in the World Players Ranking. Sanchez advanced one place from fourth to third. Torbjörn Blomdahl (Sweden) only finished sixth in this event but is still the runaway leader. Frédéric Caudron (Belgium) stays in second.
The championship was held at the Salón de Eventos del Mall del Rio, Cuenca, Ecuador between 7th and 11th November.
- World Championship 3-Cushion (UMB.org)
- Japan's Umeda wins billiards World Championship in Ecuador (China Economic Net)
- Japan's Umeda wins billiards World Championship in Ecuador (People's Daily Online)
- Umeda ichiban (Kozoom.com - French)
- Kobayashi ya tiene heredero: Ryuuji Umeda, campeón del mundo (Billarnet - Spanish)
- Ryuuji Umeda iridato (E-billiard - Italian)
- El monarca de los billaristas ahora es japonés (El Comercio - Spanish)
- 60 Campeonato del Mundo a 3 Bandas Individual Cuenca (Ecuador) (danisanchez.com - Spanish)
- Three-cushion World Championship (AzBilliards Forums)
- Men: World 3 Cushion Championship (Sports 123)
- UMB World Three-cushion Championship (Wikipedia)