Sánchez hammered Belgian Eddy Merckx 3-0. The frame scores were 15-1, 15-5 and 15-12. Tying for third were Peter de Bakker (Belgium) and Jean Paul de Bruijn from Netherlands.
Recent world champion Marco Zanetti (Italy) had the highest general average of 1.797 and the highest single match average of 2.600. Andreas Efler (Austia) had the highest run with a perfect 15.
Defending champion Torbjörn Blomdahl (Sweden) lost 3-2 to Jozef Philipoom (Belgium) in the last 16. Tour leader Dick Jaspers from Netherlands also went out in this round, 3-1 to Zanetti.
This was the Spaniard's second win in Egypt. He also captured the title in 2006.
The win takes Sánchez to second place in the World Cup Ranking. Jaspers stays on top and Frédéric Caudron (Belgium) drops one place to third.
Sánchez moves from fourth to second in the World Players Ranking. Merckx improves fom 13th to 10th. Jaspers holds on to the lead and Caudron sits in third place. Blomdahl falls from second to fourth, but is only 18 points behind Sánches.
The event took place 16-22 November 2008 at the Sunrise Garden Beach Resort, Hurghada, Egypt. It was the fifth of six events in the 2008 World Cup. The last event is in Alcala de Guadaira, Spain, 15-21 December.
- Tournament Details (UMB)
- Dani Sánchez, campeón de la prueba de Copa del Mundo en Hurghada (Billarnet - Spanish)
- Sanchez finit en trombe (Kozoom.com - French)
- Worldcup Hurghada (Egipto) 2008 (Entrada 51 - Spanish)
- Página Oficial de Dani Sánchez (Official site - Spanish)
- Daniel Sánchez (Wikipedia)
- Daniel Sanchez wins World Cup in Egypt (2006 Egypt World Cup)
- Blomdahl takes yet another title in Egypt (2007 Egypt World Cup)
- Frédéric Caudron wins World Cup in Sluiskil (2008 World Cup)
- Jaspers wins Porto World Cup (2008 World Cup)
- Second win in a row for Jaspers in Mexico World Cup (2008 World Cup)
- Jaspers continues three cushion domination with South Korea World Cup win (2008 World Cup)