Filipino Ronnie Alcano won the World 8-ball Pool Championship in Fujairah.
In the final he defeated countryman Dennis Orcollo 11-8 to claim the $25,000 winner's cheque. Orcollo's runner-up place earned him $12,500. Alcano beat Niels Feijen (Netherlands) 10-4 in the semi-finals and Orcollo overcame fellow Filipino Joven Bustamante 10-5.
Defending champion Chia-Ching Wu (Taiwan) suffered a surprising defeat to Germany's Alexander Dremsizis in the first round.
By winning the title Alcano equalled Wu's feat of holding both the 9-ball and the 8-ball world titles at the same time.
Philippines and Europe dominated the tournament and covered all the places in the quarter-finals. USA was not represented in the event.
The tournament was played March 1st-8th at the Fujairah Bustan Centre, Fujairah, United Arab Emirates.
- World 8-ball Pool Championship (official site)
- Alcano Wins World 8-Ball Championship (AzBilliards)
- Alcano Wins World 8-Ball Championship (Billiards Digest)
- Alcano Wins the World 8-Ball Pool Championships (Inside Pool Magazine)
- World 8-Ball Championship: Payouts (AzBilliards)
- Fujairah 8 Ball Pool World Championships (AME Info - Audio)
- World 8-Ball Champions (WPA)
- World 8 Ball (AzBilliards Forums)
- World 8-ball Championships Dubai (Pro9.co.uk Forum)