Daniel Sánchez from Spain won the 2009 European Three Cushion Championship.
In the final he edged Belgium's Frédéric Caudron 3-2. The set scores were 15-11, 2-15, 15-2, 9-15 and 15-13. Torbjörn Blomdahl (Sweden) and Tayfun Tasdemir (Turkey) shared third place.
The final was a relatively low-scoring affair with Sánchez averaging 1.435 and Caudron 1.473.
This was Sánchez' third European title from three finals. His previous wins came in 1997 and 2000. In addition he has four bronzes.
Defending champion Dick Jaspers from the Netherlands was beaten 3-1 by Caudron in the quarterfinals.
Jaspers had the highest tournament average with 1.933. Blomdahl had the best single match average with a 3.750 against Kostas Papakonstantinou (Greece) in the group stages. In that match he also made a perfect 15, to share the high-run honors with Dion Nelin (Denmark).
Sánchez moves up to No.2 in the World Players Ranking. The list is still topped by Jaspers, with Blomdahl in third.
The event took place May 21-24 2009, in Sportshallen, Odense, Denmark.
- European Championships 3 Cushion 2009 (Official site - Danish)
- Tournament details (CEB)
- Campeonato de Europa 3 Bandas ODENSE (Dinamarca) 2009 (Entrada 51 - Spanish)
- Troisième titre pour Sánchez (Kozoom - French)
- Zweiter EM-Titel für Daniel Sánchez (Billardblog - German)
- Billiard: Men: European 3 Cushion Championship (Sports 123)
- Página Oficial de Dani Sánchez (Official page - Spanish)
- Daniel Sánchez (Wikipedia)
- Caudron is new European three cushion champion (2006 European Championship)
- Eddy Merckx bags European Three Cushion Championship (2007 European Championship)
- Dick Jaspers wins European Three Cushion Championship with record-breaking play (2008 European Championship)