Ronnie O'Sullivan from England won the UK Championship for a fourth time this weekend.
In the final O'Sullivan overwhelmed Scotland's Stephen Maguire 10-2 to capture his first ranking title since the 2005 Irish Masters.
For the third straight ranking tournament 2006 world champion Shaun Murphy (England) lost out in the semi-finals. This time he was beaten 9-5 by Maguire. Mark Selby from England lost 9-8 to O'Sullivan in the other semi-final.
Defending champion Peter Ebdon was beaten 9-8 by fellow Englishman Ian McCulloch in the first round.
This was O'Sullivan's fourth UK win. He also won in 1993, 1997 and 2001. It was his 19th ranking title, but first since the 2005 Irish Masters.
O'Sullivan received £100,000 for the victory. In addition he won £30,000 for making a maximum in the deciding frame against Selby. That was his eighth maximum in professional competition, tying the record set by Stephen Hendry (Scotland).
Maguire won £46,000 as runner-up. He was looking for his second consecutive ranking win, having captured the Northern Ireland Trophy last month.
The win lifts O'Sullivan from second to first in the provisional rankings. Maguire rises from fourth to second. Shaun Murphy drops from the top spot to third.
The event took place at the Telford International Centre, Telford, England Dec 3-16, 2007. It was the fourth ranking tournament of seven on the 2007/2008 Main Tour. Next up on the snooker calendar is the non-ranking event Saga Insurance Masters which starts 13th January 2008.
- Northern Ireland Trophy tournament page (World Snooker)
- O'Sullivan romps to UK final win (BBC)
- Ronnie cruises to UK title (Eurosport)
- Awesome Ronnie Reigns Supreme (Sporting Life)
- 2007 Maplin UK Championship (Global Cue Sports Centre)
- Ronnie O’Sullivan finds rhythm on the dot (Times Online)
- Ronnie Takes A 4th UK Title (greenbaize)
- Ronnie Rules UK (Snooker Scene blog)
- Aufholjagd von Maguire scheitert (Snookerblog - German)
- Maplin UK Championships (fergalobrien.ie)
- Snooker Ranking - UK Championship 2007 (Cuefactor)
- SnookerManager: UK Championship 2007
- Ronnie O'Sullivan (Wikipedia)
- Peter Ebdon wins UK Championship (2006)
- Dominic Dale on top in Shanghai Masters
- Fu tops Grand Prix for first ranking win
- Maguire triumphant in Northern Ireland Trophy