In a roller-coaster final Philipoom defeated Swedish legend Torbjörn Blomdahl 3-1. The frame scores were 3-15, 15-14, 10-15, 15-11 and 15-0.
Turkey's Tayfun Tasdemir and virtually unknown Ruben Legazpi from Spain lost out in the semifinals.
This was the 45-year-old Belgian's first World Cup title. His previous best was second in Sluiskil earlier this season.
He received €5,500 for the victory and Blomdahl got €3,500 for second place.
Defending champion Daniel Sanchez from Spain lost 2-1 to Legazpi in the quarterfinals.
Sanchez had the highest general average among the 56 competitors with 1.873. His 2.523 was the highest single match average in the final stage. The Spaniard also tied Kyung-Roul Kim (South Korea) and Marco Zanetti (Italy) for highest run with a maximum 15.
Frédéric Caudron's fifth place finish secured his victory in the 2009 World Cup Ranking. Blomdahl and Philipoom moved into a tie for second place, from fourth and seventh place respectively. Last year's winner Dick Jaspers (Netherlands) finished in seventh position.
The win moved Philipoom from 12th to eighth in the World Players Ranking. Blomdahl improved from fourth to second. Caudron is the new leader with former No.1 Jaspers in third.
The event took place 6-12 December 2009 at the Sunrise Garden Beach Resort, Hurghada, Egypt. It was the final of five events in the 2009 World Cup. The next season opens in Antalya, Turkey, 15-21 February 2010.
- Tournament Details (UMB)
- Dernière World-Cup 2009, Philipoom 14 ans après (Kozoom.com - French)
- WORLDCUP HURGHADA 2009 (Entrada 51 - Spanish)
- Jozef Philipoom (Wikipedia - Dutch)
- Daniel Sanchez wins World Cup in Egypt (2006 Egypt World Cup)
- Blomdahl takes yet another title in Egypt (2007 Egypt World Cup)
- Sánchez powers to World Cup win in Egypt (2008 Egypt World Cup)
- Caudron takes World Cup season opener in Sluiskil (2009 World Cup)
- Martin Horn lifts first career World Cup trophy in Turkey (2009 World Cup)
- Merckx finally finds success in 2009 Porto World Cup (2009 World Cup)
- Caudron hoists second World Cup trophy of 2009 season in Suwon (2009 World Cup)