In the final he beat tournament surprise Allister Carter (also England) 18-8 to win the trophy and £250,000.
To reach the final O'Sullivan had to beat Liu Chuang (China), Mark J Williams (Wales), Liang Wenbo (China) and Stephen Hendry (Scotland)
This was the third world trophy for O'Sullivan. He also won the championship in 2001 and 2004. In total he's won 20 ranking events.
Defending champion John Higgins (Scotland) lost 13-9 to Ryan Day (Wales) in the second round.
O'Sullivan and Carter both made 147s in the tournament. They therefore had to share the £157,000 jackpot. In total there were 63 centuries in the event.
It was O'Sullivan's record ninth maximum in major competition. Stephen Hendry (Scotland) has eight.
With this win O'Sullivan moves from fifth to first in the new world rankings. Scotland's Stephen Maguire jumps from 10th to second and Shaun Murphy from England stays in third.
Carter's runner-up position takes him to No. 7. Mark Allen from Northern Ireland is the only first-timer in the top 16. 50-year-old Steve Davis (England), Mark J Williams and Ken Doherty (Ireland) are the most prominent names to lose their place in that elite group.
The event took place Apr 18 - May 5 at the Crucible Theatre, Sheffield, England. It was the last of seven events on the 2007/2008 Main Tour.
- 888.Com World Snooker Championship (WSA)
- O'Sullivan wins third world title (BBC)
- O'Sullivan cruises to third title (Eurosport)
- 2008 888.com World Championship (Global Cue Sports Centre)
- World Championship (Sporting Life)
- Ronnie O'Sullivan romps to third world title (Times Online)
- 888.com World Championships (Fergal O'Brien)
- The World Turns for O'Sullivan (Snooker Scene Blog)
- Final Word on the Crucible (Snooker Scene blog)
- Videos - snooker (Eurosport.se - Swedish)
- World Snooker Championship 2008 (Wikipedia)
- Snooker Ranking with Cuefacts from the World Snooker Championship (cuefactor.com)
- World Snooker Championship (cuefactor.com)
- SnookerManager: World Championship 2008
- Ronnie O'Sullivan (Official website)
- Ronnie O'Sullivan (Wikipedia)
- Dott is new world snooker champion (2006)
- John Higgins wins the Snooker World Championship - again (2007)
- Dominic Dale on top in Shanghai Masters
- Fu tops Grand Prix for first ranking win
- Maguire triumphant in Northern Ireland Trophy
- Ronnie O'Sullivan wins fourth UK Championship
- Mark Selby wins Masters on debut
- Shaun Murphy retains Malta Cup trophy
- Mark Selby wins Welsh Open after impressive comeback
- Maguire makes maximum on the way to China Open title