The current straight pool world champion defeated Sweden's Marcus Chamat 9-4 in the final. The victory was worth €6000. Chamat got €3800 for second place.
In the semi-finals Feijen ousted Mosconi team mate Tony Drago (Malta) 9-4. Chamat beat Hungary's Sandor Tot by the same score.
This was Feijen's first win in the Costa del Sol Open and fourth Euro Tour win overall, from nine finals. His last win came all the way back in the 2005 Netherlands Open. Since then he's had seven semi-final appearances.
Defending champion Bruno Muratore (Italy) lost 9-8 to Hubert Lopotko (Poland) in the last 16.
The win took Feijen from third to second in the final Euro Tour Ranking. Losing finalist Chamat moved from 17th to 10th.
Ralf Souquet (Gemany) held on to the lead to claim his fourth Tour title. He also picked up the trophy in 1995, 1999 and 2001. Feijen's countryman Nick van den Berg improved from fourth to third. Last year's winner, England's Mark Gray, finished in a respectable sixth place after having led most of the season.
The tournament was played 4-6 December at the Torrequebrada Hotel and Casino, Malaga, Spain. It was the final event of seven on the 2008 Euro Tour. The first event of next season is the French Open which runs from February 11-14 2009.
- Swiss Open 2008 (Event page)
- Costa del Sol Open Photo Gallery (www.eurotouronline.eu)
- Official Website of the EPBF - IBP Eurotour
- First place in Malaga! (Niels Feijen)
- IBP Euro Tour in Malaga/Spain (Jasmin Ouschan)
- Feijen wins Eurotour Spain Open (AzBilliards)
- Niels Feijen campeón del Euro Tour Costa del Sol (Billarnet - Spanish)
- Feijen flikt Spain Open! (Poolkrant)
- Niels Feijen holt sich die Krone Spaniens! (Billard Aktuell - German)
- Niels Feijen (Official player page)
- Niels Feijen (Wikipedia)
- Petroni wins final Euro Tour event of season (2006 Costa del Sol Open)
- Bruno Muratore surprise winner of Costa del Sol Open (2007 Costa del Sol Open)
- Tony Drago wins French Open (2008 Euro Tour)
- Darren Appleton captures Italy Open (2008 Euro Tour)
- Engert wins Germany Open for ninth Euro Tour title (2008 Euro Tour)
- Nick van den Berg takes Austria Open title(2008 Euro Tour)
- Souquet strikes again in Netherlands Open(2008 Euro Tour)
- Souquet grabs second straight Euro Tour win in Swiss Open(2008 Euro Tour)